I have no reason to live
February 26, 2011 6 Comments
I have long subscribed to the theory that I am bulletproof and immortal. This despite multiple orthopedic surgeries which I have largely lumped under the heading “design defects” which have no real impact on my immortal status. So on Monday when I could not stand up straight due to stabbing pain in my stomach, I forced myself to visit the doctor. Since I had spit up blood and no one having met me could ever accuse me of wasting away from consumption, it was a fair guess that I likely had an ulcer. I’m no rocket scientist (I went to law school which pretty much excludes extra smart people), but it kind of seemed obvious that this was an ulcer since I don’t have a flask in my desk drawer and despite my claims that my liver fled to live with Keith Richards years ago where it’s less toxic, my drinking days are largely now the stuff of myth. The ER doc was less than amused by my self-diganosis and insisted on “tests”.
The tests included the following:
1) Stabbing me repeatedly in both arms and hands (which sucks epicly) attempting to take blood.
2) Realizing I am a lawyer and have no blood.
3) Stabbing me again for good measure because the nurse just realized I’m a lawyer.
In the end, the learned doctor determined I have an ulcer. Thank you Captain Obvious. Aside from forcing me to take medicines, he laid down the following edicts:
1. No alcohol. I argued that no self-respecting lawyer can make it through to Friday without a martini?. He did not care about my problems.
2. No chocolate. I protested this was un-American and he told me to suck it up.
3. No caffeine. I attempted to rebel at the thought of no morning Red Bull, but could not stand up straight to kick him in the balls.
The end result of this is that I have survived for an entire four days on entirely healthy, non-caffeinated substances. I would cheerfully roll a nun for a Red Bull right now. They tell me this is part of a “lifestyle change”. I’m not sure I see a continued reason for living without caffeine, chocolate and vodka.
I am one step away from “Help I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get Up“.